The plantar fascia is a band of connective tissue that supports the arch of the foot, connecting the heel bone to your toes. It can become strained or damaged resulting in pain often experienced in the heel or mid-arch area of the foot. If you are experiencing heel, pain plantar fasciitis is one of the most common causes.
Some of the signs of plantar fasciitis are:
- Pain in the heel near where the arch begins or in the mid arch itself.
The medial tubercle of the calcaneus is the most common area of pain. It is where the plantar fascia has its largest connection to the heel bone. Pain can also occur mid fascia.
- Pain upon getting out of bed
The plantar fascia is not under any strain or load when sleeping, and as a result will be at its shortest length. When getting up out of bed, the stretching of the fascia to a “warmed-up” length during the first few steps can be uncomfortable.
Additionally, inflammation may be present trying to repair the previous day’s activity. This can heighten sensitivity.
- Pain after Rest
For the same reasons as when having pain getting out of bed, the rest allows the fascia to contract. This can make the first few steps afterward uncomfortable.
Very often, the fascia may warm up and pain may subside somewhat, however increasing time on your feet may see the pain return again.
At Glen Waverley Foot Clinic, our podiatrists will assess your heel pain, determine the likely causes and provide a diagnosis. Treatment may involve:
- prescription of stretches and exercises for self management
- offloading techniques such as stretching and taping
- orthotics for longer term load shifting and pressure redistribution
- soft tissue therapy
If you wish to make an appointment for your heel pain at Glen Waverley Foot clinic, please call to make an appointment.
For appointments involving lower limb pain, we always recommend you bring along the shoes you wear most frequently.
Why choose us?
- Purpose built clinic in a convenient location
- Onsite Parking
- Full time podiatrist availability – Monday to Saturday’s including evenings
- Medibank Member’s Choice
- BUPA Member’s First
- HCF More for feet program
- Bulk Billing podiatrist availability
- DVA registered